Visas/Entry Clearance and Extensions of Leave to Remain/Switching

All non UK nationals are required to obtain an entry visa into the UK prior to arrival, unless they fall into a non-visa nationals category. Certain Commonwealth citizens might have a Right of Abode and therefore can come and reside freely in the UK without any restrictions.

UK Immigration Law is complex and changes frequently. It is vital to seek professional legal advice  about merits of the application, especially in case of previous refusal of entry to any country within ten years prior to making of the application to enter the UK.

After arrival and prior to expiration of Leave to Enter, those wishing to remain in the UK can make an application for extension of stay in majority of immigration categories. Switching to another category might also be permitted and having a limited leave to remain can eventually lead to settlement.

IMMIGRA LEX Legal Consortium (ILLC) offers assistance in obtaining permission to enter or remain in the following immigration categories:

Transit visas

  • Visa to pass through the UK in transit

Tourist and short stay visas

  • Standard Visitor visa
  • Short-term study visa
  • Permitted Paid Engagement visa
  • Marriage Visitor visa
  • Parent of a Tier 4 child visa
  • Visit the UK in a Chinese tour group

Student visas

  • Short-term study visa
  • Tier 4 (Child) student visa
  • Tier 4 (General) student visa

Work visas

  • Domestic Workers in a Private Household visa
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa
  • Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa
  • Tier 1 (General) visa
  • Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa
  • Tier 1 (Investor) visa
  • Tier 2 (General) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
  • Tier 2 Priority Service
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Charity Worker) visa
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Creative and sporting) visa
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) visa
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – International Agreement) visa
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Religious Worker) visa
  • Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa
  • Turkish Businessperson visa
  • Turkish Worker visa
  • UK Ancestry visa

Sponsored workers or students

  • Employees: if visa sponsor loses their licence
  • Students: if education provider loses their sponsor licence

Family visas

  • partner (fiancée, civil partner, spouse or unmarried partner) of a person, or parent of a child, who is present and settled in the UK
  • Visas in case of separation or divorce

EU and EEA citizens

  • UK Residence Certificate
  • Derivative Residence Card

Commonwealth citizens

  • Right of abode in the UK (ROB)
  • UK Ancestry visa

Citizens from outside the EU, EEA and Commonwealth

  • UK Residence Card
  • EEA family permit from outside the UK
  • Derivative Residence Card

Settlement in the UK

Those having limited leave to remain for a number of years are entitled to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), providing they have passed the “life in the UK” test in order to demonstrate  that they are fully integrated into British society. There are exemptions to this legal requirement for those over 65 years old, with long-term physical or mental health problems that prevent them from being tested and victims of domestic violence.

Past criminal record might seriously impact on prospects of the application, therefore it is vital to seek professional legal advice in order to ascertain merits of the case.

Grant of indefinite leave to remain means that an individual is no longer subjected to any time restrictions, however, an absence from the UK of more than two years can jeopardise prospects of returning.

Grant of permanent residency takes form of a plastic biometric card valid for ten years and its validity can be extended further, unless holder applies to be naturalised or registered as a British Citizen before it expires.

IMMIGRA LEX Legal Consortium (ILLC) offers assistance in obtaining settlement in the following immigration categories :

  • Permanent residency certificate/card for EU citizens and their families
  • Settled status for EU citizens and their families
  • Settlement in the UK for a third country nationals as the partner (fiancée, civil partner, spouse or unmarried partner) of a person, or parent of a child, who is present in the UK and settled here
  • former member of HM Forces
  • victim of domestic violence
  • Long Residence
  • Private/Family life
  • UK ancestry
  • Retired Persons of Independent Means
  • Bereaved partner
  • work permit holder
  • dependant of work permit holder
  • businessperson
  • innovator
  • self-employed lawyer
  • writer, composer or artist
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
  • PBS Dependant route
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) – Accelerated route
  • Employment not requiring a work permit, for example, Overseas Domestic Worker
  • Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)
  • Representatives of an overseas business
  • Tier 1 (Investor)
  • Tier 1 (Investor) – Accelerated route
  • Tier 2 migrant
  • Returning residents

Complex cases     

Every person arriving into the UK might be prevented from entering the country, if their presence would impose significant risk to society or if they are entering in breach of an entry ban or an extant deportation order, which has not been revoked.

Those already here without authorized permission to stay are subject to detention and removal, while deportations are usually reserved for individuals committing criminal offences.

IMMIGRA LEX Legal Consortium (ILLC) offers a broad range of services, including :

  • obtaining Temporary Admission (TA)
  • Release from Immigration Detention on Chief Immigration Officer (CIO) Bail or Tribunal Bail
  • strong defence against Removal or Deportation
  • Applications for Revocation of deportation order (DO)
  • Applications for regularisation of stay (illegal entrants and overstayers)
  • Applications outside of the Immigration Rules (exceptional/compassionate circumstances)
  • Applications for Discretionary Leave to Remain